Why Birth Control Might Not Work for Endometriosis
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Endometriosis.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Patel BG, Rudnicki M, Yu J, Shu Y, Taylor RN. Progesterone resistance in endometriosis: origins, consequences and interventions. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017;96(6):623-632. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28423456. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Kim J, Kurita T, Bulun S. Progesterone Action in Endometrial Cancer, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, and Breast Cancer. Endocr Rev. 2013;34(1):130-162. ttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3565104/. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Bulun S, et al. Progesterone resistance in endometriosis: Link to failure to metabolize estradiol. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology. 2006;248(1-2):94-103. https://www.scholars.northwestern.edu/en/publications/progesterone-resistance-in-endometriosis-link-to-failure-to-metab. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Hayashi A, et al. Dienogest increases the progesterone receptor isoform B/A ratio in patients with ovarian endometriosis. J Ovarian Res . 2012;5(31). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3541078/. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Lockhat FB, Emembolu JO, Konje JC. The efficacy, side-effects and continuation rates in women with symptomatic endometriosis undergoing treatment with an intra-uterine administered progestogen (levonorgestrel): a 3 year follow-up. Hum Reprod. 2005;20(3):789-793. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15608040. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Dhamangaonkar P, Anuradha K, Saxena A. Levonorgestrel intrauterine system (Mirena): An emerging tool for conservative treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding. J Midlife Health. 2015;6(1):26-30. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4389381/. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Chowdary P, Maher P, Ma T, Newman M, Ellet L, Readman E. The Role of the Mirena Intrauterine Device in the Management of Endometrial Polyps: A Pilot Study. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. December 2018. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30590128. Accessed May 6, 2019.