Does The Mirena IUD Help Endometriosis?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Endometriosis.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Yoost J. Understanding benefits and addressing misperceptions and barriers to intrauterine device access among populations in the United States. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2014;8:947-957. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4090129/. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Gupta J, et al. A randomised controlled trial of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system in primary care against standard treatment for menorrhagia: the ECLIPSE trial. Health Technol Assess. 2015;88(i-xxv):1-118. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26507206. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Kai J, et al. Usual medical treatments or levonorgestrel-IUS for women with heavy menstrual bleeding: long-term randomised pragmatic trial in primary care. Br J Gen Pract. 2016;66(653):e861-e870. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27884916. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Patel B, et al. Progesterone resistance in endometriosis: origins, consequences and interventions. AOGS. 2017;96(6):623-632. https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aogs.13156. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Li L, et al. Treatment of symptomatic adenomyosis with the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019;146(3):357-363. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31194884. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Bayer. Mirena. Mirena. https://www.mirena-us.com. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Abou-Setta AM, et al. Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device (LNG-IUD) for symptomatic endometriosis following surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 31AD;1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23440798. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Yeung P, et al. Laparoscopic Management of Endometriosis: Comprehensive Review of Best Evidence. The Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2009;16(3):269-281. https://www.jmig.org/article/S1553-4650(09)00111-3/fulltext. Accessed November 21, 2019.
- Bhattacharya S, et al. Hysterectomy, endometrial ablation and Mirena® for heavy menstrual bleeding: a systematic review of clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2011;19(iii-xvi):1-252. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21535970. Accessed November 21, 2019.